Monday, February 21, 2011

Spring Can't Be Far Off

Time for a pop-up card. I love doing these, so about a week ago I began with a mock-up to test out some ideas that were floating around my head. Dakotah wasn't too thrilled with the design it seems; she chewed up a fence I made using the Martha Stewart Garden Trellis punch!

After I decided what would work and taking "Approval Cat's" recommendation to heart, I began to build. Using a Mini Lazy Summer Day Tilda I made her a frosty window to stare out into the snow, wishing Spring would finally arrive. I started out with clear cello, used my MS Garden Trellis punch (shhhh... don't tell "Approval Cat"!) to create a stained glass window (Copic colours RV34, BG45 and Y15), layered some white cardstock for the window frame and popped it up on foam over Tilda's image and some background wood panelling paper. No-name white flocking with clear Aleene's glue added the frost on the window and Frosted Lace Stickles was used for snow.


Inside the card, her wish is granted! Tilda and Edwin go on thier first Spring bike ride through the countryside. I used Mini Edwin with Bike and Mini Tilda with Bike.

I started by using my new Copic Airbrush to do the sky in B000 and B02. Then I airbrushed the path with E33, E35 and E49, adding texture with the Colourless Blender. The hills were airbrushed using G21, G24 and G29.


Next I cut out some dark green flocked paper for grass. The bushes are covered in Flowersoft Sage and Raspberry Fizz. You may notice Tilda's been picking the flowers off the bushes; in her hand is a Raspberry Fizz bouquet.

The bunnies were hand-drawn and coloured with W00, W1, W3, W5 and R21.


I knew the tree would have to "telescope" to fit inside the card when folded up. I used brown and green cardstock, added dimension with Copics (leaves: G24, G28, bark: E33, E35, E44, E47) and then added two birds (W6, W7, Y19, Y21 and Y38).


Tilda and Edwin's Copic colours are: E0000, E02 for their skin, E55, E57, E59, B91, B95 and B97 on Edwin, C0 - C10 and YR24, YR31 for the bikes, RV91, RV95, RV99, Y11, E97 and E99 for Tilda.

After all that, I am pleased to find it DOES fold up!


And I guess "Approval Cat" was right after all; Tilda and Edwin's Spring Bike Trip definitely didn't need a fence along the path...


57 people wrote stuff:

Carol said...

Luv it, luv it Maureen!! No need for you to be nervous Hun as this is really a great project. So luving these mini Maggies. Thanks for sharing. Lotsa luv, hugs xxxx

Debby said...

This is very clever and cute! Thanks for sharing...

KayBeScraps said...

wow.. i love it.. fantastic scene you created.. ♥
Hugs, Katrin

Gea said...

That's soooo lovely! just adorable! I totally understand why you are in the DT!
Hugs Gea

laura said...

OMGosh that is so cute, wonderful job

AUSTINSGRAMM said...

You are very creative. This is absolutely beautiful. And so much work went into it. An awesome creation.

tfs
hugs
bobbi

Elin Larsson said...

Springtime will come then :) wonderful scene. Love to see Edwin here aswell!!

Unknown said...

Wow, I love this scene! I love these mini-magnolia's!
Great job!!

greetings, Claudia

Beth said...

Maureen, what an awesome card! You did a wonderful job on it all! Wow, you are soooo creative....sure wish I could draw like you do!
Have a wonderful week!
Hugs,
Beth
http://bethsbitsofart.blogspot.com

Kelly said...

OOHH I love the inside of your card. The scene is really fun after Tilda is looking out the wintery window. Congrats on your first blog hop.

Dena said...

Your pop up scene is AMAZING!!! What a super awesome card!
Hugs, Dena

Tracey said...

Wow! This is amazing!!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness what an amazing pop up card! I LOVE the scenes that you have created...they are absolutely AMAZING!! WOW! Gorgeous work!
Hugs~ Kim

amylynne said...

Love your pop up card! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Juliep said...

Oh wow, what an amazing card. I love the frosted window with Tilda gazing out but the inside is amazing. All the detail is gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing.

Carissa said...

Such a cute card, love the idea of a pop up.
Your approval cat is also very cute, looks just like my kitty.
Carissa :)

Diamond-Sky said...

wow, what a real piece of art! xxx

Danielle Champagne said...

Hello Maureen, very lovely inside scene! Perfect for spring theme.
HUgs. Danielle.

Myrna said...

LOVE, LOVE your stained glass window. My favorite aunt had a window just like that in her house. Awesome card Maureen!

Monique said...

Oh wow. This is soooooooo cute !! I love it :)).

Hugs Monique

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This is absolutely stunning!! What a gorgeous scenery and your coloring is brilliant too!! :) Thanks for the fun blog hop!!HUGS

Brook said...

Great project. I love the "pop up" card! Wonderful scene you created inside and I love Tilda gazing out the window on the front.

DesignerDiva said...

This is FAB, its the best blog hop I've ever been on!!! YOu are all soooooo good!!
Love 'n' Hugs Laurie x

Unknown said...

Congrats on your first DT hop, you are doing wonderful. So cute cards, and I'm drooling, drooling, drooling, got my fingers crossed, cause now I want, want, want! Tee hee hee. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Hjulberg said...

So clever! I love it!!!

Mary Lou said...

Awesome and so creative!!! You did exceptionally well for your first time~!~Wonderful--member next time will be easier:)
Beautiful mini's and even like your bunnies and birds--I don't think I could of made them look that cute:D
Thanks so much for the enjoyment!!
Hugz

angelwhispers said...

Wow you are so clever just love it!! Its amazing and such lovely images and colouring!! A great first Blog Hop!!!! Chanelle xxx

Brigitte said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! This card is out of this world!!!
brigitteetleschats at hotmail dot com

Penny said...

This is so delightful. You created a scene that you feel like you could just jump into. Penny

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous a brilliant idea.
Chris x

Janiel/ janny said...

WONDEFUL< BEAUTIFUL!!! love your project sweetie and WELCOME aboard!!!
g hugs, Janiel

Donna C said...

WOW ! This is such an ambicious card and I LOVE it !!! The detail is inspiring ! Love your cat too ! TFS !

Chris said...

What a beautiful card, Maureen! You had absolutely no reason to be apprehensive! It is lovely and involved so much work. Great job! We all loved it!

XO,
Chris Christensen

charlene said...

What an adorable little scene you have created ! Great job
Hugs

Cami said...

Wonderful scene you have created with these cutie-pie minis, Maureen!
Hugs, Cami

Sandy said...

Really cute pop up card Maureen - I am still watching for the bed!! Love those little rabbits on your card - they made me LOL!
Hugs,
Sandy

pat said...

I love your card and I really hope spring is on it's way soon.
thanks for sharing.
Pat in Canada

carrie said...

Wow! What a fabulous and creative pop-up card! Great design and great coloring!

Sheri said...

Silly girl! You had no reason at all to be nervous You rocked this! I am just loving all the details...and in the mini format!! Too, too cute!!!

Unknown said...

That is just fabulous! How sweet.

Lisa T said...

That is so inventive! I love it! (I can relate to Tilda - I am tired of winter, too!) Your rabbits are wonderful! I thought they were more Magnolia stamps!

cabio's craft corner said...

Maureen, it's gorgeous and awesome idea. It's like a big surprised after the card is opened. Also, the glitter by the window is so pretty. Just like Tilda look out from her cozy place while snowing outside. The inside of this card is beautiful. So fun to see all these details :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

fionalawlor said...

Wow this is amazing,great job! The inside is sooo gorgeous :O)
Fiona x

Patti Jo said...

Oh Maureen, such a sweet scene with Tilda looking out the frosty window and then OMG the beautiful spring scene you've created with Tilda and Edwin and all the little critters! How fun and so artistically creative!!! Fantastic job!!!

Mascha Zimmerman said...

Marvelous job Maureen, so much work you made out of this blog hop.
Very nive, bye Mascha

Anonymous said...

WOW, how talented, love your pop up card, so clever, thank you for sharing your idea.
jman4@comcast.net

Jayne Hayward said...

What a lovely idea for a card. I love the choice of Mini Maggies you have used and beautifully coloured too.

Jayne xx

Sharon Caudle said...

Maureen, this pop up card is amazing and very creative!!! I love how it goes from her pining away for spring, to her being outside playing with Edwin! Awesome, awesome job! Love it!!!!
hugs, Sharon

1000etincelles said...

you did a great job with this pop up card, love the texting you use...such a lovely scene inside !! can't wait for spring to be back !!!!

xoxo

Linda said...

Hi Maureen your card is very creative I love it love Linda

Heidi Gonzales said...

Very cute, these are two of my fav. magnolia stamps. I love to ride my bike.

Mary said...

This is adorable! Love it!!

Bettina L. said...

What a lovely card and what a great idea to make a forest inside the card:)

Nela said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Nela

Lorraine said...

SO BEAUTIFUL TFS XX

Helena said...

Oh WoW Maureen, you sure done good, this pop up is amazing!!! Love it, well done on your first DT hop!
xxxx

JLJ Designs said...

Fantastic card! Your pop-up is so unexpected.

Jennifer

My Magnolia Cards